New Nursery starters 2021-2022
After May half term Early Years staff will contact you to make 'door step' visits to introduce themselves and for your child to meet them so they have a familiar face.
We will be arranging a zoom parents meeting one evening in June 2021 for new parents to give you some information and time to ask us any questions you have to help with the transition for your child in to Thursby school.
Welcome to Thursby School.
Welcome to Thursby School and to our Early Years unit for our wonderful Nursery and Reception children.
It is such a shame that due to Covid19 there are numerous restrictions in place and therefore we need to do things a bit differently this year.
Nursery children have the option to wear a school uniform OR they can wear their own clothes. Reception children must wear school uniform.
- Uniform with the school logo is available to buy from: https://myclothing.com/Thursby-Primary-School/13968.school
- Uniform consists of white polo shirt, navy blue school jumper or cardigan, (does not need to have the school log on) charcoal grey trousers / shorts / dress / skirt / pinafore. In warmer weather blue gingham dresses may also be worn.
- Black shoes only. please.
- PE kit consists of a white t-shirt, logo t-shirts are available from the my clothing website but are not essential, and navy blue shorts. Due to the current situation we do aim to be outside as much as possible, therefore leggings or jogging bottoms may also be worn, along with school jumpers and appropriate footwear.
- Outdoor learning is a big part of our curriculum, and we love to get muddy. Please provide your child with wellies and waterproofs (all in ones or trousers and jacket). These can be kept in a plastic bag on your child's peg.
- Book bags maybe purchased from the uniform website (as above). We recommend children bring them to school every day.
***** Most importantly, PLEASE label EVERYTHING. Items of clothing do get misplaced or lost and it is very difficult to get them back to the rightful owner when they have no name on. *******
Fruit and milk: ALL children in Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are also entitled to free fruit and this is their daily snack. All under 5 children receive free school milk. Once your child is 5 this needs paying for if you wish to continue. Cool Milk provide school with milk and you will be able to order nearer September from them. They will contact you for how to set this up.
- ALL children are registered and set up on our lunch system 'School Grid'. Parents should activate their account through the email received. School grid can then be accessed online or through the App. Lunches can be ordered daily, weekly or half termly. We encourage parents to do this with their child at home. We do check each morning that children have ordered their lunch.
- Nursery pay for lunches via the School App. and part time nursery can choose whether to stay for lunch or not though there is an additional wrap around care cost for this.
- All Reception children are entitled to the government funded school lunches.
- Please ensure your child has a filled water bottle with them EVERY day. Water bottles can be purchased from the uniform website, but this is not essential.
- Please, ONLY WATER, in bottles.
- Reception children may attend our breakfast club.
- Breakfast club is run by Mrs Bell and starts at 8am - entrance via the hall doors.
- At the moment pre-booking is not required. So parent's may bring parent's to school from 8am.
- Breakfast club forms for payment are available at the main office. These are located on the wall shelf next to the sliding window. Forms can also be downloaded via our website parent's info page.
- Payments can be made daily, or in advance, if you prefer to pay weekly, monthly or half termly.
After school club:
- At the moment, we do not offer any wrap around care. for Nursery children nor for Receptoin after school
- After school clubs are based around extra curricular activities and we offer these to Reception children only, from the Spring Term.
- Further information about available clubs will be sent out to parents at the end of the Autumn term.
- If your child is poorly, please phone or email our school admin address, no later than 9.30am on the first day of absence.
- Holiday request forms are available from the main office (wall shelf). It will be the discretion of the head teacher to authorise any holidays. Nursery children are not of statutory age though we would appreciate parents completing a holiday form so school knows why the child is absent for a longer period.
- Any medicines that need to be given during school time must be taken to the main office at the start of the day, and relevant medication forms will need to be filled in for school to administer medicine. Only medicine prescribed by a doctor and labelled as such and can not be taken out of school eg 4 times a time can be administered.
Start and end of the school day:
- Voluntary one way system: As a school we have agreed with local residents that we will encourage our parent's to use a voluntary one way system during school drop off times. This system is as follows: Enter school road, turn left on to Shawk Cresent and follow the road round until you reach school road again, turn right on to school road to exit. No vehicles are permitted to enter school grounds at any time during these times either. Please support us in keeping your children safe.
- This year (September 2021) may continue to be different to what we have done in the past, however, we endeavour to make this transition as smooth as possible for your children. At the start of the day children are to enter via our garden gate. Parent's are able to come in to our garden area to settle children in on their first day only. We ask that parents do not enter the school building unless absolutely necessary. Social distancing will also need to be maintained when on school grounds. All Early Years staff will be in school on the first day to support families on their exciting new journey in to school life. After day 1 please wait in the school yard for the staff to come out and collect your child. The school yard is also where you wait to collect your child at the end of the school day and the staff will bring your child out to you.
- At Thursby, when building relationships with parent's, we pride ourselves on our 'open door policy'. We all understand that starting school is as much a 'big step' for parents as it is for children! Please do not hesitate to speak to any member of staff with any queries or concerns you may have. If necessary, appointments can be arranged for the end of the day and we are more than happy to liaise via phone call or email.
Tapestry is an online learning journey we provide for every child. It can be access online via the website or through the App. We will set up an account for every child using the email address provided by parents in the new starter packs. Parents will receive an activation email before the first day of school. Please activate your account as soon as you receive the email.
Tapestry can be used to share observations, photos, videos and comments about your child's learning. We encourage parent's to add photo's and comments too, as we love to hear about the achievements children's have made out of school too!!
Below is a link to the Tapestry website:
If you have any other queries and would like to make direct contact with the class teachers you can email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Miss Butler and Mrs Gibson)
Below is a link of 'who's who' in Thursby School. It maybe useful to show your children the faces of staff they will see around school, and most importantly, in their classroom